Thursday, December 2, 2010

You remind me of the babe

Last night I attended a committee meeting of which I am a member and a new person came to take over a key position. A woman, named Linda, who looked like David Bowie in drag (or in the 70s, depending on which one you can most easily picture). She had his bone structure, coloring, even his teeth. It was so distracting. I just kept singing the Labirynth song in my head: "you remind me of the babe (what babe?) the babe with the power (what power?) the power of voodoo!"

One of my favorite things in the world is "celebrity spotting". This is best played while in a bar because people tend to dress up when they go out dancing. Earlier this year, my best friend and I discovered that Lake Havasu is a veritable oasis for retired Disney characters. We saw Ursula, the lady from 101 Dalmations, Christina Aguilera (before you politely point out she's not a character, she was on the Mickey Mouse show in her youth), Jafar, and a host of other characters. Ursula was a big ol fat lady who'd shoved her rolls into a tight black top, thus creating tentacles. She had her hair bleached and piled high. And her clevage could have swallowed an entire school of fish. In fact, at one point I swear it did.

On that same trip my BFF was accosted by a 60-year-old man dressed like a old school hillbilly and his new "wife".  They looked like they had been dressed by Quentin Terantino to star in a horror film about a hillbilly wedding that gets interrupted by zombies. He practically ran up to her screaming "Tina Fey! Tina Fey! I can't believe you're at my reception!" I suppose she looks a little like Tina in that she has dark hair and glasses and is not particularly tan but the buck sorta stops there. There was no one else there who appeared to be attending their reception though so I am guessing that's their con: oh, we are newlyweds, can we have some free drinks? I'm just wondering how successful it is. My brother, who will soon be joining the service, has told people for as long as he could drink, and presumably before, that he's in the service in the hopes that someone will buy him a drink.

The husband used to get told he looked like the kid from Almost Famous and more recently folks have been comparing him to Michael Cera, much to his liking. I really don't get told I look like anyone. When I first dyed my hair darker I got Maggie Gyllenhall a lot but no one tells me I look like anyone anymore...until last week.

I like decorative hair accessories and I often get made fun of for them. There is one in particular that some people find offensive: a floppy cream-colored Magnolia headband. I bought it for $6 at Anthropologie, which, if you're familiar with that store, it is an amazing find. I once called a director at my work asking if I could please accompany my boss to a meeting they had that morning on budgets since I am more familiar with the working budget and he said "Ya, so long as you don't have that giant flower on your head." He was joking, but it scared me..."Oh my gosh! I totally do! How do you know that????" He had apparently seen me walking in that morning. So last week his wife, who also works here, told me I look like Garcia from Criminal Minds.

Hmmm.....maybe twenty years and a little more bleach?

1 comment:

  1. If Jabba the Hut and John Candy had a Mexican baby...That would be me.

    ReplyDelete