Saturday, October 16, 2010

Graduate school is mostly tiring

It is true that students get older but it never gets less "high school." There are cliques, labels, and there is a marked return to the most fearful part of school: that no one likes you.

After almost every class, someone asks: "Did I talk to much? Do you think people are upset because we kept them there longer?" Admittedly, this person is often me but I can find comfort in asking it that the other responses are often "I thought I was talking too much too!"

I find myself looking at people's shoes, judging. We make fun of one another like siblings. Everyone sits in the same place every class. One day a row of guys who always sit next to one another wore the exact same blue button-up shirt and black pants. You can imagine how well that went. 

Right now I am studying for a midterm and writing my 4th paper in 8 weeks. It's rather slow-going. Paper is about NASA, namely the Challenger and Columbia explosions and the internal workings at NASA that allowed people to knowingly overlook safety issues. 

Midterm is for an HR class wherein the professor gave us a study guide and even revealed what the essay will be on: motivation. I don't think it's more than 30 questions long. Someone urged him to create a word bank and I think he agreed. Isn't that bizarre? I mean, we are not in 7th grade. We're supposed to be learning this stuff so we can be in these professions and use this theory to run departments, right? But then again, my husband has been calling me "The Hermoine Grainger of the MPA program." Touche. 

1 comment:

  1. I would sympathize with you but...
    1. I am still the person who comes into class unprepared and walks away with a high grade.
    B. I will always judge everyone around me, then break out a beer bong in the parking lot.
    3. All my business sense comes from what I learned on the playground. Despite what HR might think, upper management will always enjoy when you pants another employee.
    2. References to super hero's, Star Wars or Harry Potter will get you labeled as a geek. Which only gets you far with IT department or Chess club.

    ReplyDelete