Friday, February 25, 2011

The big kids are scary

I hate to be rude, but something ironic struck me on the front page of my university's website. There was a picture of our University President standing regally at a pulpit in a church (this is not my issue) and the caption said something like President Gordon will talk to congregants at a church in Norwalk (also not my issue) to encourage early planning for college.

It made me feel like I go to school at Studio 54. Please don't tell more people to come here! It's freaking packed. It's hard to park for night classes and the buildings are falling apart. Please don't tell more people that college is awesome - they know it's awesome and there are a million people here already!

It got me thinking about how weird it is to market something people already like, like Coke. Coke spends probably millions, maybe more, on advertising every year but people already like them. The thing that's different about Coke though is that if more people like them and buy their product, the can decide to spend more on ads, they can expand. CSUF CAN'T expand. There is no more cash to throw at this problem so please, I beg of you, stop telling people that college is awesome.

Last night we talked with other students who were further along in the program than my cohort and it sounds like we got here at the right time. They regaled us with stories about that one summer when all classes were cancelled and how they can't get the classes they want and end up having to stay on for extra YEARS waiting for the class to come around again. All the newbs just sat there feeling awkward. At the end of the discussion I raised my hand and said "You have heard quite a bit from the students who are well into the program but many of us in this section have remained quiet...we are new and perhaps feel like we don't have enough perspective to offer our opinions but we've gotten the classes we want and are actually quite happy..."  Afterwards, everyone kept telling me "Thanks for sticking up for us, Jess!" Just call me Jessica Chavez.

We reported back to our professor the big kids were mean and intimidating. One person from my program asked if "bitter" was a requirement to enter the program previously. Such unhappy kittens!

Earlier in the day when we were speaking as a captive audience about the program we talked a little bit about wishing there was a nonprofit concentration. This one dude who's been in the program a longer time attacked me after lunch asking "what exactly will you get from a nonprofit concentration that you can't get from the other concentrations?" When I said, well, off the top of my head, the title but I needed time to really consider how to answer that question he gawked at me and said "Well...I'll be speaking with DR. Hanson about this!" Also, please note, Dr. Hanson is not a doctor. This guy was just a kiss-ass.

He's in the program and about to graduate, what does he care what I want? How does that affect him? Is he jealous about the prospect of someone getting what they want after a seemingly uphill battle in his time in the program? Jesus. I just like nonprofits and I don't like Criminal Justice, Finance and HR. I might take Urban Management but it sounds like there are a lot of GIS classes and that scares me.

All I know is that I got an A on my first semester paper and I'm not one to roll over so stay tuned for the moment when I announce they're offering a nonprofit concentration :)

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of the more tenured students in that program I can certainly attest that there did indeed seem to be a general consensus of bitterness about all kinds of things. Despite this I think it's important that you believe me when I say that things are indeed better that they used to be and that many of the speakers from last night were being nothing more than grumpy goats/bitter bobs/negative nancys/debbie downers!

    I'm confident you and your cohorts will not feel the same as they did at the same spot in your program.

    A nonprofit emphasis sounds just as appealing as a grants writing course which, to me, sound like a great combo!

    As an urban management major I'm taking a GIS course. You're not expected to know a THING about GIS and all it is is a different way of organizing and, quite frankly, it is a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in no way an advertising expert, but I know a thing or two...

    Even though consumers are fully aware of the products that big brands like Coke sell, tons of money is thrown at advertising. It's less about product awareness and more about product/brand image and maintaining a relationship with the consumer. They want you to just feel different and identify yourself differently when you drink a Coke as compared to a RC Cola. If advertising just stopped, the consumer may eventually not identify themselves this way and may even lose touch with the size/scale of the company.
    You can even take tabacco companies as an example of that. You never see cigarette ads on TV anymore. Consumers might now assume that the tabacco industry is in the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Missy - glad to know it gets better! GIS actually does sound fun to me but I get intimidated by new systems. Is there a tutoring opportunity there?

    @Sir Cardigan - that makes ABSOLUTE sense then for Dr. Gordon to be branding the university...I just hope the kids listening are too young to go to school while I'm there - too many people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I asked and there is not formal tutoring, although you can always make an appointment or meet with the TA. Often the other students are helpful too! :)

    ReplyDelete