Monday, February 14, 2011

Picasso maybe?

I was sick for a full week but am finally back in the land of the living. Good lord, so much sickness. I missed an entire week of work and school and spent a lot of quality time with the cats - they don't mind when I'm sick.

So, I finally felt better on Friday night and we walked to get dinner which meant WAY over-doing-it and getting in bed at 7pm. Saturday, again, a little better. Saturday night we drove to Mangia Bene in south county to celebrate my brother-in-law's acceptance as a JAG for the National Guard. We are SUPER proud.

On the way back from dinner, Todd realized he needed gas so we of course had to do this major trek to find the exact gas station that he wanted. You see, he is a car control freak and has to fill up his car at the same stations all the time to ensure that his data is tracked properly. What data, you ask? The data he inputs into an online database that calculates his fuel economy for the car, of course!

So we stop at one of his "approved" stations and the light of good fortune shines upon me. There, across the gas station as I sit waiting for Todd to pump gas, is a masterpiece. Perched atop the gas station's trash bin is this little beauty:


I saw it and asked Todd to grab it and he wouldn't because it's sorta pervy, right? So I threw trash out and then snagged it (I have a habit of stealing public art, but more on that later). It smelled like someone spilled a little coffee on it and it made me picture this family who'd picked it up at an auction who decided to trash it when they spilled the coffee on it but left it displayed at the Chevron on Alton, just in case someone with an eye for art wanted it. I know what you're thinking, 'who's birthday is next?' because you desperately wish you were the owner of this little piece of heaven.

You are looking at a ceramic tile that is approximately 12x8. There are three naked ladies with snakes coming from their hair and a creepy woman haunting them with her hang-y boobs. In the right of the ceramic, there is a large black spaghetti squash which I'm assuming that's where these ladies came from. Behind the boob lady are three ghostly haunts and one man peeks from behind the background in the upper-right of the ceramic.

I am going to ask my mom if she'll go with me to Antiques Roadshow because I totally need a tempurpedic bed and have no emotional attachment to this thing. It's not signed but it has to be a lost Picasso or something? Perhaps from his lesser-known awkward nude period?

No comments:

Post a Comment