Friday, February 10, 2012

Jealousy Monster

Getting home from class last night was a disaster because the freeway on-ramp by school was closed so I thought I'd try a work-around only to end up in a scary, dark, industrial area. I ended up getting on a different freeway in the completely opposite direction from home...fail. Home at 10:40pm, WIRED.

I finally fell asleep and just before I woke up this morning, I had a dream Todd had to drive me to work because I lost my keys and he was so mad at me. We got halfway to work and I realized I forgot something else and he wouldn't turn around. I think I must've confused him this morning when I asked "are you mad at me?" after he said "You're so soft!" upon hugging me in my robe. Why would he be mad that I'm soft?? Anxious girl brain.

I got to work maybe ten minutes late but not because of me; it was because of my carpool partner who I love to no end but who is almost always late. I moved a mile or two further from her and we just like each other so much we push it even though it's totally inconvenient. I'm grateful though because I hardly ever feel like driving and she always drives. I still maintain the moment I win a boatload of money I get a driver. I've recently expanded my driver to a team of people - I want a nutritionist, a trainer, a driver, a stylist, a hairdresser and a personal assistant. I suppose those could all be one or two people, I'm not picky.

Anyway, I was late. And then I left to get coffee because there was just no way 5pm was going to happen without it so I walked with my friend to our local coffee place and came back, started typing a memo. Now, you have to understand I am not a quiet typist. I type like a Staten Island secretary in the 80s. SASSY AND LOUDLY.

So it surprised me when my coworker (yes, the stupid one) turned off the lights. "Why did you do that?!" I asked. His reply: "Oh, I didn't know you were here."

Yes he did. He knew. He was just mad because I was late and because I left to get coffee and that I turn the lights on. Yes, you read that correctly. He thinks we should all work by natural light. We don't need this artificial lighting! However I can't see a goddamn thing without the lights so it's always a constant battle with him saying underhanded things like "How was your vacation? It was so nice to have all the lights off last week..."

I've decided to call him the Jealousy Monster - or Jem (As in, WHAT A GEM!) for short. When I told Todd he wrote:
Didn't know that [Jem] was the official director of office lighting. You'd think he was paying the electric bills. You know, he helped design light bulbs... Ohhh wait... That was Thomas Edison.

1 comment: