Friday, January 14, 2011

Whirlwind Tour

Coming back from a vacation is always tough but this vacation was so fun that it took me more than 2 weeks to muster the strength to post on it; posting on it means it's over and what's the fun in that?!
I've prepared a photo montage of the road trip that I think you may enjoy.
First up: Lake Havasu City, AZ
I think this was the first time in 6 years that my mom and dad and Todd and I got to have couples time. So wonderful. Mom was in full-mode baking cookies, simmering soups, griddling (is that a word?) waffles, making magic. Dad was surveying the property, doing dad things, being the best tour guide and driver you could want.
This is mom and I at the Parker Dam where we saw an eagle and a Pacific Loon. No, it was not Todd. A birdwatcher lady was having a meltdown about finding this bird about 30 yards to my right. I'll be honest, I saw no loons.

During this picture, mom was explaining that the donkeys are afraid of people and will likely not get any closer; this was about 10 seconds before one ate out of Todd's hand. More proof that he is the animal whisperer.

Dad is in the liquidation business and has a rich history of bringing weird things home, like industrial size boxes of toilet paper. After witnessing a, ahem, discussion between he and mom about how her ass needs fancier paper than this "excuse" for toilet paper that he brought home, we decided it would be best utilized all over his office. Please take note of the John Wayne and Clint Eastwood photo gallery.

Then it was off to Vegas to celebrate two years of being married.
Here we are at Michael Mina about to enjoy a vegetarian tasting menu that cost more than [almost] everything I own. We were given complimentary champagne and schooled in how to take photos. Our waiter moved the adorable pad of butter out of the photo and our bread so as to imply that this is not the kind of place people eat at.

Come on, seriously. I don't care if you hate life, you love this. It is amazing.
I found this fabulous dress at Anthropologie and couldn't help myself. Tea length with polka dots? YES! We were sitting at breakfast when I heard that grades for one of my classes had posted. I was so excited that we rushed to finish breakfast and ran back to the hotel to check out my grades on ye old laptop; I ended with an A and an A- and I couldn't be happier. I'm phoning to ask if the car can pick me up for dinner at 8...
Exhausted from being adorable...

Then we went to the Neon Boneyard - an absolute Vegas must-see set up presumably by the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. You have to book online, recieve a confirmation, meet at an undisclosed location etc. etc. But, once you make it through all the shenanigans, you get to tour a sandy lot with rich Vegas history. This is also where we met Marshall and Paul, an adorable couple from Phoenix who we ended up getting drinks with later that night at both Herbs & Rye (they serve only Depression-era cocktails) and Frankie's tiki bar (drinks are $8 or $20 if you want a souvenier glass!). Below you will see Marshall investigating his true vice at the Shag-designed Vice Tester.  
All-in-all, a wonderful trip. We're just not ready to get back in the swing of things but alas, we need income.

1 comment:

  1. I'm bummed I didn't know you were in Vegas the same time as I was. So jealous you got into the neon boneyard. It was already full when I tried to make reservations!

    ReplyDelete