Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hot or not?

I received an email from my professor a few weeks ago asking if I'd like to join her at a conference about nonprofit-government partnerships. Of course I agreed! It was my flex day, what else would I be doing? She let me know a student organization on campus would even PAY for me to go if I sent them my address and some other information that is failing me now.

In any case, I was approved but the day of the conference was fast-approaching and I hadn't heard anything until, while in class, my phone rang while a group was giving a presentation. This doesn't sound like much but I was supposed to be in this group and bowed out when the one guy was a total d-bag about reading a paper. The professor asked, in a very over dramatic way, can someone please volunteer to..." BOOM! My hand was up before he could even finish! YES! I would love to switch groups! Please move me to economic development, something I have literally no interest in just to get me away from this guy. Ugh, and this guy, you would love him. Slicked back hair, laughs at everything the professor says, just a slick mofo. He looks like he would be an asshole.

So these lame-asses were presenting and my phone rang on FULL volume. Then I had to walk outta class because I saw the area code and knew it was coming from someone at school. My heels were loud on the linoleum, click-clack all the way through their presentation, but I answered the phone when I got outside and it was a British man. Huh?

Turns out he was processing my travel and needed my signature TODAY or else they wouldn't be able to pay me. Here is our conversation...

J: Hello?
Richard: Hello there. This is Richard Pierce. I am processing your travel arrangements and would very much like to meet up so that I may get your signature.
J: OK...where are you?
R: I work in the Center for Internships...but I can come to you! Where is your class?
J: Humanities
R: oh, hmmm, well.
J: I know where your office is, I can just meet you there...
R: Let's meet halfway!
J: How will I know who you are??
R: Well, I am wearing a white shirt with subtle stripes, black trousers and I am an average looking gentleman.I'll bring your paperwork right now!
J:...and a pen?
R: and a pen, yes!

Really? who describes themselves as "an average looking gentleman"? I walked downstairs and toward the building where his office is (literally two buildings away, not far) and spotted him in an instant even though 35,000 people go to this school. He looked awkward and shy and uncomfortable. I signed the papers and he asked if I knew where my professor was because she needed to sign her stuff too.

Turns out the professors like to sneak away to a bar off campus on Thursday afternoons after class is over so I asked him if he'd like me to call her to come sign.

R: Really? That would be wonderful!

Is this really that wonderful? It's just paperwork. What a weirdo.

Later I found out that he rushed over there so fast he brought her my paperwork and then he had to walk all the way back to campus and back again to the bar. I think this guy needs an assistant.

p.s. the conference was amazing, I took 15 pages of notes and decided on a policy paper topic which will include me having to call an assemblyman from LA who is a co-author.

5 comments:

  1. In my head I like to imagine that he ended the conversation with "pip pip, cheerio" as he sipped from his tiny tea cup with his pinky out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prior to his phone call, he probably said something to someone else about giving you a ring, e.g. "I shall give Jessica a ring." Not a ring-ring, just a telly-ring. :)

    Ah, Brits <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Viv - I can. I really do know where his stupid office is. Maressa & Todd - It was a lot more British than I could portray...VERY pip-pip, tele-ring INDEED.

    ReplyDelete