Tuesday, July 19, 2011

STOP RAISING TUITION

Since I started at CSU last Fall, my tuition has been raised 3 times and this fall is the highest: 12%. (This will translate to about $200).

The email I received this morning stated:
"On July 12, 2011, the California State University Board of Trustees voted to increase to increase Fall 2011 tuition fees by an additional 12%. These fee increases will be posted to CSUF student accounts beginning July 22, 2011."

I can't help but wonder if the 12% was decided on the 12th for a reason, like, they couldn't come up with something better and one of them yelled "hey! today's the 12th! how about 12%" and then they all shook their heads in agreement at what an inspired meeting they'd had. Oh, and surprise, the costs are going up one month before school starts. As with almost everything I've experienced at the university, it's ALL last minute.

Last semester I received a notice 10 days before class started that I could be dropped from my classes if I didn't provide proof of some immunizations. Well, my parents live in another state and God only knows where that paperwork is. So I had to be REIMMUNIZED. Which, I totally hate. I put as few chemicals and foreign substances into my body as possible, thank you.

I was feeling (not surprisingly) overwhemled when school began so I thought it might be a good idea to get a counselor as I'd done in undergrad at UCI. When I tried to go to the health center for counseling I was told the first visit has to be Mon-Wed between 8-noon. No after-work hours are available so I never went.

I was notified I needed to take a prerequisite too late to register before school began last fall so instead of either taking this summer off or taking care of it before school began so I could take other classes, I had to take it this summer.

This all sounds pretty bleak but the real reason I go there are the professors. They are dedicated to the students, period. They meet with you before class, after class, during office hours, they take calls, emails, they Skype, they give out their contact information so you can ask them about work projects, they support and assist us in ways that go FAR BEYOND their meager salaries. And the president of our university, well, he's gotten raises the last two years.

So yes, I will pay the 12% increase, I have to. But I don't have to like it. I'd like it if my 12% increase went to my professors. I'd GLADLY fork over an extra $200 for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment