Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Bear

Todd's nickname is the bear because, well, he hibernates and likes to eat and can run in sprints but not for any distance and often knocks stuff over unaware of his elbows (are bears aware of their elbows?). The bulk of his bear-ness is apparent in our bathroom. Don't worry, nothing disgusting...

Three or four weeks ago I went to use my foot scrubby thing and when I picked it up, it shattered. Come to find out it had been neatly placed back in one piece after the bear shattered it while showering. Instead of telling me, he let me think it was all my fault.

The next week he had enough of our no-slip mat and tore it off the floor and threw it to the back of the shower like a dead animal pelt. When I asked about it, apparently it was slippery and he hated it, so he killed it.

Then, the week after that he came to me after his shower all worried holding my face scrubby thing. "It....I....when I was....it just....fell through the bars....and broke...."

But the bear is always forgiven for his poor house manners because of his large heart. He was so wonderful and supportive at Nicole's wedding last weekend (a post on that once I can gather some photos). He drove Nini and I to Del Taco at 1am, let us take over the room whenever we needed it, brought back-up drinks, danced, and DID NOT COMPLAIN ONCE about how freaking hot it was - this is of interest given that he is an Irish Cheese Bear and they must be cool at all points in time or else they suffer hot naps and prickly heat - two things that will send a bear into rages.

At one point during the wedding day I came to drop something off in our room and take a breather from maid of honor duties and I found him with our thermostat set to 65 degrees, draped over the bed wearing a cardigan and plaid shorts, a glass of whiskey in his hand, watching Man vs. Wild.

And then today he sent me flowers to work. Bears are the most thoughtful of animals and Irish Cheese Bears are the most romantic of bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment