Monday, August 20, 2012

Out Nerded at Lego Store

My husband is a Lego maniac. He lusts after sets like I lust after shoes (and bedding).

We've been frequenting the South Coast store because we've had the happy coincidence of meeting friends and family for dinner there a lot lately. School's out for 8 more days, we're living it up.

So we walk into the store last Friday and I will admit I've begun to feel at home there. We're not regular customers; we are the UBER cool 20-somethings who come to celebrate architecture and pop culture. We're not nerds. We are properly groomed and well dressed and have interesting and thoughtful accessories like vintage glasses and thrifted ties. We are so cool.

I lose Todd immediately because he is having the most prolific angina over which Star Wars set to buy and I wander because I like to peek at the little Lego vignettes made my local Legovores. One was people in bikinis and one featured a giant multi-headed alien hat that one could wear like an adorable balloon animal head or like an intergalactic version of Luna Lovegood with her lion hat:
So, ya, like that but if it was an alien themed headdress. I walk up and an Asian mom has trapped the young female employee in conversation.

Mom: "Where I can buy that?"
Lego girl: "Oh, someone made it for show...it's not for sale."
Mom: [Disapproval]

I say to the Lego girl, you know since I am like her cool older cousin at this point, "I bet a lot of people want to buy that, huh?"

Lego girl: "Yep. I get asked about it a lot. It's pretty popular also because Avengers...did you see Avengers?"
Me: "No...but my husband did...[point to frantic Todd]"
Lego girl: "Nevermind. You wouldn't understand." [walk away]
Me: [rejected]

I was socially rejected by a Lego girl. She smoked me out of the hole I'd crawled in, masquerading as a cool nerd. Shame on me. Shame on me for trying to pretend I fit in this world. It's like seeing your weird uncle downloading Junior Senior. Shame on you. You can't like this stuff, uncle. Go on, git.

No comments:

Post a Comment