Monday, August 22, 2011

Blissful Weekend in Paradise

I am lucky to be married to my best friend and we are lucky to travel so well together. This weekend, in the grand tradtion of E&Lee, we took a road trip to San Diego.

Friday we headed down after lunch and played music, let the weekend sink in. We stayed at Hillcrest House and were fed by Ann every morning and given lots of great advice about where to eat, what to do etc. We will stay in the Old Town room from now on - private entrance, giant closet, beautiful room, secluded patio - check, check, check, check!

We checked in there and headed over to Balboa Park. We love Balboa Park. I wanted to get married there but it was stupid expensive. We park behind the Fleet and kill some time before our dinner reservation. Waling around, I am approached by a woman with a giant white bird that she sits on my hand. I was mesmerized. And a little scared. I stood awkwardly while the woman introduced me to Pheobe and all I could say was "WELL THEN Pheobe, I'd like to tell you that we are vegetarians and don't eat any of your relatives...you're pretty." I remained calm and even pet the bird. I gave $5 toward their bird rescue efforts.

We indulge at Prado Restaurant. We had adult libations (pom margarita for me, Irish mule for the old man) and ate til we were absolutely ill. Then it was off to the Ruben H. Fleet for the IMAX movie Wild California. We are distracted by a grandpa there with his two grandsons who are, shall I say, willful? One notable moment occured when the older boy removed his sandals and rubbed his hideous feet all over the glass in front of him. Adorable. Note to self whenever I feel like I want to be a mother, go to a children's museum. End note.

Then it was off to Babycakes for dessert. Carrot cake pleeeease! We were exhausted from all the food so we went back to the HH and crashed.

We awaken early to the smell of coffee and muffins. After eating some granola, fruit and tiny blueberry muffins we head on over to Tiki Oasis to see the car show and look at the vendors. some good, clean, free fun was had by all. I found this fabric for the dining room chairs and ran into Filthy Rotten Wes of KUCI fame.

Then over to the Marsten House and a tour, which made me want to build a giant house on several acres and become a wealthy philantropist. Someday, right?We then headed to Crest Cafe, our favorite diner. What up eggs florentine? What up giant veggie burger? Nothing? That's what I thought.

Then it was back to the nest to get ready for the zoo. We always elect to partcipate in Nightime Zoo @ San Diego Zoo because its cooler and means less people (read: children). We saw a million animals including but not limited to: capybaras, hyraxes, bear cats, all sorts of mokeys and birds, flamingos, Malaysian tiger, hippo, meerkats, zebras, polar bears, elephants (the new elephant enclosure is amazing). We were so excited about animals we upgraded our tickets to annual passes and will be back ASAP.

Then, back to the hotel and a short walk to Hillcrest. We ate a late dinner at Bombay on 5th street. Then it was off to Taang Records where we bought 2 "new" records: Simon & Garfunkel and Velvet Underground on vinyl. The salesperon was EXTREMELY helpful. We just missed our favorite used bookstore Bluestocking Books which closed while we were at Taang. Then, back to Babycakes for a LEMON BAVARIAN cupcake to share.

On Sunday we woke up, more coffee, more granola, more muffins. Dressed and ready, we headed out for the day after getting wonderful hugs from Ann. That place is seriously my favorite. Then back to Tiki Oasis to see my boyfriend Charles Phoenix. He did a "South of the Border" themed slide show that took the darn house down. We sat with Miss Kaye and got hugs from Charles who wore a white linen suit that had various Tijuana paraphenalia spray painted on it in neon colors. Amazing.

I got 1/2 way though "The Help" and found some peace. If I can find the camera, I will post a few photos. This weekend made me want to pack up the gang and move to SD.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such a wonderful weekend/vacation. And now you are making me miss Babycakes!

    ReplyDelete